Monday, January 26, 2015

Baby Food Secret

Yes, I eat baby food.
You might be thinking- "But your BABY doesn't even eat baby food"
You'd be right, with the exception of prunes.
Whole prunes (without crazy preservatives) are stupidly expensive. 
and messy.
and a choking issue.

Even before Eli came around, I ate baby food. 
The fruit flavors are SO yummy.
You eat applesauce right? 
Well, it's the SAME THING, only with different fruits.
It's an amazing dessert.
Yes, dessert, those suckers are loaded with sugar (one of the reasons I love them so much and also one of the reasons Eli doesn't eat them)
I've recently discovered another AWESOME reason to love purees.

During these cold winter days, I like hot oatmeal. 
I refuse to buy the pre-packaged stuff because it is jam packed full of sugar AND it is expensive.
So, I dump some oats in a bowl, mix in some cinnamon, and sprinkle in some frozen fruit.
The problem is that it is still too bland (remember, I am a sugar addict)
I used to add honey.
Then I had a child.
Who eats what I eat.
…and literally the ONLY food that every single website or book or pediatrician will tell you he can't have is:
Honey
So
Now, 
I have THIS:

All you smart cookies have put it together already. 
That's some prune oatmeal. 
AND IT IS FREAKING DELICIOUS

I give some to Eli, and I get the rest. 
I also eat it with his baby spoon, it helps me to not gulp it down.

Maybe some day I will mix it up. We bought more prunes at the grocery store last night and I saw some super tasty looking combinations. 
Pomegranite/Apple/ Blueberry oatmeal? 
Now that sounds fantastic!

So, here I am, singing the praises of pureed baby food. 
For me
as a sugar substitute,
and mixed in with a food that actually has a texture
….but singing its praises none the less.





No comments:

Post a Comment