Monday, September 15, 2014

You've Gotta Read This

You know those days: when you are reminded of how amazing your friends are. When you think- "Gosh, I wish I had more of her (insert trait here). 
Today is ANOTHER one of those days.
I have lots of friends who impress me daily, in fact, I plan to go on a rant about another "Katy" friend who has been choosing love. 
Choosing joy. 
Choosing patience. 
Choosing faith. 
Choosing ALL of these things when no one would blame her is she chose bitterness and anger...
Oh gosh, don't get me started. 

Back to THIS Katie.
My friend Katie wrote a blog for Kansas City Mom's Blog about being aware of how your words (as a stranger) impact her family. 
She could have written YET ANOTHER "15 things not to say to (insert a group of people here" blog.
No one would have blamed her.
Instead, she chose grace.
She used phrases like "I know you are just curious" when she spoke about ignorant strangers.
See what happened there,
 I wrote "ignorant" and you read it as an insult. I think we've used the word ignorant negatively for SO long, that we've all forgotten what it means.
Uneducated.
Is it really fair to be ANGRY at someone for their ignorance (if it really is ignorance). 
Ok, maybe it is FAIR to be angry, but let's expect more of ourselves than "fair".

Katie took what I would assume to be her first guttural reaction to these situations (defensiveness, bitterness, and anger) and instead showed kindness, empathy, forgiveness, and a willingness to educate rather than blaming and attacking.
She chose love.

Seriously, my friends are awesome.

Not to mention how she helps the reader to realize that it isn't about hurting HER feelings, it is about her kids.

" I also want you to know that my children have ears and brilliant little minds. I’d like to tell you that they hear what you say, and with each time a well-meaning bystander comments on our transracial family, they hear their mama yet again have to ‘explain’ them and us as a family. Those little ears and little minds think about these questions for hours – days."

Seriously, you should read this. 


You'll learn more than just "What you should say to a family touched by adoption", 
you'll also be impressed by a mom who chose thoughtfulness to address sometimes thoughtless (again, not an insult, we all often say things without thinking them through) comments.

I've been working on fruits of the spirit lately, and I decided that "gentleness" was the my most rotten fruit. 
Maybe that is why this speaks to me so much. 
What an AMAZING example of showing God's GENTLENESS. 








No comments:

Post a Comment