Thursday, May 22, 2014

Milestones

1- Stupid Pacifier
Rico has had a countdown going until 6 weeks. 
Why? 
Not what you would think….dirrrty minds!
I told him that was when I would let him introduce a pacifier.
I, being me, obviously wanted to never use one, but I am only half of this parenting team (and the other half doesn't have boobs that can make Eli quiet and calm…so he has it rough when he tries to soothe him). 
Rico had a great point too- when he is SCREAMING in the car (where I can't breastfeed him), and ssshing, massage, toys and every other technique we've tried haven't worked- a pacifier would be a nice way to help us feel like we weren't torturing our child by staring at him screaming his lungs out. The goal is to only use it when my boobs are literally NOT an option. 
We'll see how long that lasts.
 Here's how it went. 
We went to Target and got him one that would fit his mouth better. He still spit it out, but he kept it in long enough to make him go to sleep.
2- Smiling
Eli has started to give ACTUAL reactions to things and people around him. 
Thank goodness, the "disappointed parent" look was getting old. 
Yes, that was his go-to look. 
Sometimes it was "confused disappointed parent" or "tired disappointed parent", but never happy.
3- Mommy's first unnecessary pediatricians visit.
All new moms do it- so I don't have to feel ashamed.
His breathing is rattly and flemmy during the night. When it started happening in the day, I decided to bring Eli in during walk-in hours. (and maaaaaybe I had a list on my phone of other things I wanted to check to be sure they were normal)
Nothing is wrong, duh, but now I feel better.
AND, added bonus, they didn't act like I was crazy.

4- The Moby
I thank God for this baby holding creation. 
You think I am just saying that- no, I literally have stopped and devoted an entire prayer thanking God for whoever He had create this.
He hates getting in it.
He hates getting out of it.
BUT, within 1 minute of being in- he is OUT. 
That means mommy can eat.
Or go to the bathroom (although this is tricky)
Or walk somewhere (like the pediatrician's office) without lugging a heavy/awkward carseat
Or grocery shop.
Or think (without a baby crying)

Plus, he's so darn cute and I can kiss his little head so easy!

5- Cloth Diapers
6 weeks was also the suggested time frame for starting cloth diapers. Because I am a master procrastinator, I hadn't washed ANY of the diapers we had gotten- so I started by stripping them all (a process where you strip off any detergent build up that might keep them from being as efficient)
That was…well, confusing. Trying to match which stuffer went with which diaper proved to be a challenge. BUT I did it, and now I *should* know from now on.
I decided to start with our more well loved diapers. If I was going to mess up, I wanted it to be with ones I wouldn't feel bad about. Here's his first cloth diaper:
Rico's reaction: "that can't be right- they take up half his body" I reminded him that we bought "one-size" diapers to fit Eli all the way through potty training. So, yes, they are going to be big when he is still a newborn.
So far, so good. 
Fewer bow-outs than we were having with disposables, so that's nice.

6- Pumping
Pumping is the LEAST attractive thing I have ever done (at least in daily life.)
Maybe uglier than birth- at least birth is miraculous and fascinating (and I think beautiful)
Also, when the heck am I supposed to do it?
Eli wants all I have to offer. 
I feed him AT LEAST every 2 hours, for about 45 minutes, meaning I am not nursing for about an hour. No time for more milk to be made and then pumped, and then made again for his next meal.
I just need enough for 2 and a half days (back to work to give finals).
After a week and a half, I have 1 days worth.
uh oh. 
No pics of pumping-I try not to even look when I do it.
I WILL say, it is pretty cool to see that my body can create that. When Eli eats, I just assume he's getting something, but seeing it is kind of cool.

7- 1 month Old!
I took this picture:
but decided that he didn't look very cute (I can say that, I am his mom, but don't you DARE agree…out loud)
So I put together an impromptu photo shoot.
I used all those tricks-
A space heater so he would be warm
I fed him so he would be milk-drunk
I used a dog bed under the blanket (a lazy mom's substitution for a bean bag)
and I had towels on my lap in case he peed.
THIS was the end result:
Cute, right?
What you DON'T see in this picture are the 27 other photos where he is falling off the books…or screaming.
You ALSO don't see that mommy was trying so hard to keep him happy that she forgot to put the towel back on her lap
I felt the warmth and went along…I've been peed on before, no big deal.
Then I felt the rumble.
I have officially been shat upon.
Mark it in the baby book.

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading this as I pump. Had to laugh. You're right, it is the most unattractive thing. I used to feel so awkward and self conscious doing it in front of Adam. I eventually got over it (for the most part).

    ReplyDelete