Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day

I woke up, on my very first mother's day as a mom to this card "from Eli"
I asked Rico what this was about (we don't buy cards), and I was informed that it wasn't from him, it was from Eli.


Rico insists that it was really signed by Eli, because "His hand was gripping the end of the pen the whole time" 
So, thanks Eli!



If I ever wondered what my love language is- I could just look at my Mother's Day wish list:

1- figure out how to make a mobile for the birds I sewed this winter.  
For the last 5 months I couldn't even fathom where to start, and the Pinterest directions went from detailed instructions (how to sew the birds- in 10 steps, with templates) to "hang the birds on branches".
Super helpful.
Buuuut... He did it. And it looks amazing!




2- I don't want to cook- all day
except for this guy…obviously I will feed him since I'm the only chef that can make his meals right now.

3- Detail my car

4- Some sort of event (I chose between a Tiger rescue or a walk around a big lake across town)
We ended up with the walk, since the tigers are a 45 minute drive away and Eli isn't into car rides right now.
I am putting that gently

5- A bubble bath
hopefully while Eli sleeps


6- Basically be my bitch all day. 
Meaning I got to add things in all day…like squeezing my husband's blackheads- or not changing any diapers…"because it's mothers day!"

I'm not a present kind of gal. 
I want your time
 I want acts of service
I want some words of affirmation
- not that I would turn down diamond earrings should they appear.

We also wanted to make sure to celebrate OUR amazing mothers- 
What did we get OUR mommies? 
Just 2 of their favorite things
Their grandbabies…
made into charm necklaces.
(the bows are just part of the wrapping, don't worry) 


I tried to wait for his neworn pics to come in, but missed it by a day. A cell phone picture from his first bath will have to do!

Since there was a supply issue that meant going back and re-designing the jewelry, the necklaces wouldn't arrive by mothers day.
 I felt awful.
To make sure we could recognize them on mother's day, I came up with (what I thought was) a simple idea:
A picture from Eli with a mother's day message for them.
Well, I should have known that I can't just make a simple message. I ended up crafting with scrabble tiles and cutting paper and un-hemming pants so Eli could wear just the right outfit. 
So, 2 hours, and 26 pictures later I called it good. 

First he was awkward (This was Rico's favorite shot, "because he looks like an old man with his hands in his pockets" He DOES bear a slight resemblance to the old man in "Up")
Then he was disgusted by the idea.
Then he was ANGRY at the idea.
Actually, he was angry a lot.
So we finally settled on him being bored with the idea

Happy mother's day to all the mommies out there, from my son, who is apparently in training to become Lurch.
MY Little Lurch.

No comments:

Post a Comment