Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Friends, Family, Water Play

What a weekend. The only thing we had specifically planned for the weekend was a cookout (NOT a bbq- get it right), but we ended up seeing SO many people and doing SO many things.

Friday afternoon, we went with my mom to pick up our niece early from preschool for a play date at the park. We got to see my sister's preschool class too.

Friday night, 4 of Rico's high school/ college age cousins came over and we hung out on the Taj-ma-deck (my mother in law's crazy awesome back deck) and they played with Eli.

Saturday we looked at our house for the first time, with Rico's brother helping us out. 

After making an offer on the house, we went over to my childhood friend's house for a "cookout". Basically, it was an excuse for some of the babies to finally get together and for us to meet one of our friend's boyfriends (he put up with the excessive amount of babies/ baby talk VERY well)
All boys, all 1 syllable names, Great minds.
The babies got lined up in birth order (youngest to oldest) while the moms danced/ clapped/ acted like total pageant moms behind the camera trying to get their attention. 

One of my favorite parts is that you rarely saw anyone holding their own baby. It was neat to see everyone passing babies around (and to talk to other new parents who could tell you that xyz thing going on with your baby is NOT weird, and that they went through the same thing)

I think a moment that summed it up was when I was inside the house talking and Rico walked in. It took me a second, but then I said "Where's our child?"
Someone else piped up- "Oh he's out there in the pool with Katie"
I jumped up. "Crap!" 
No, not "crap-someone else is watching my child", but "crap- I need to document this, it's his first time in a pool and I don't want to miss it!"



I also forced one of my other friends to feed Eli. She is SO uncomfortable with wee little babies (this is the same friend I rubbed my pregnant belly on.) I delight in making her uncomfortable- look at what a good job I did:
Ok, here's a cute one.
We tried out our first church in town…where one of Rico's ex girlfriends was with her family, including her child with the same name as ours. (I say ex girlfriend and it sounds scandalous- they were in 8th grade…so scandal free, just a VERY small town moment)
The sermon was exchanged for a discussion about fatherhood (it being father's day) where a discussion on spanking made it very evident that this was not the church for us. Eli couldn't hold it in through the HOUR AND 45 MINUTE long service, and he pooped ALL over himself, his breastfeeding cover that was on my lap, and my dress. It was pretty hilarious. 

We went to my sister's house on Sunday for pool time
Don't mind his nasty belly button, he got it re-cauterized at his 2 month appointment - hence the creepy birth-mark looking thing.

 while Rico went with my brother in law to a PGA event where they drank, ate, and watched caddy races. 

Eli dipped his feet in the pool, but it didn't last long. 




















He spent the next hour sleeping in the pack-n-play outside just looking fresh.


At some point in these last weeks, we also watched the second world cup game with Rico's family where our ADORABLE niece gave Eli kisses. 
Once she saw how much we all enoyed it, she just kept kissing him. 
It. Was. Adorable.
We also got to visit with BOTH sets of great grandparents. 

So, what we've learned here is that when you move home ot see family, you GET TO SEE FAMILY.
Even when you didn't have any of it on the schedule.
Awesome.
So, so awesome.







No comments:

Post a Comment