Sunday, November 24, 2013

Prenatal Vitamin Advent Calendar...don't be jealous

We travel 3 and 1/2 hours back "home"every holiday. That means we have to plan things ahead- things like: When should we put up Christmas? 
Do it when we come home?
Uh, after a long drive and on our only night to relax before going back to work- no thanks.
Instead, we decided to set it up now so it would be ready when we got home. 

I don't know about you, but putting up Christmas decorations ALWAYS ended up with someone crying in my house growing up. In fact, in our first few years of marriage the same thing happened. Determined to change things around- we discovered the formula 2 years ago. 
Christmas carols + spiked cider + breaks to slow dance (or occasionally goofily dance) = a happy, happy holiday

Well, the spiked cider was out for me this year. Would our formula still work? Earlier this week I brought up my concern, Rico said he was wondering the same thing that morning. 

These are the things we worry about. 

Well, I am happy to report that the formula still works...even without Santa's little helper. 
Max was even excited for Christmas decorating...that is, until Rodney took his spot on the couch. 




We went through our usual memory lane walk as we put the ornaments on the tree. We have an ornament to represent each year since we've been married, and some that we inherited in the Brown Family Christmas Ornament Throwdown- including Troy Aikman throwing a pass. I hate Troy, but I also love him. I can't help it- he, and a couple of his other friends, were NOT what I imagined to be on my "adult" tree, but they make Rico SO happy. 
SO, SO happy. 
Troy immediately took his mandatory spot on the tree- facing out toward the couch so Rico can randomly yell, "I'm open Troy!" all through December. (There he is...on the left)

I decided that the little woven mushroom I bought last year at the after-Christmas sales would be our ornament to represent the baby, you know, with the Woodland themed nursery and all. I remember thinking, "What am I doing buying a mushroom...but it's so cute!" Now I know. 

Everything went up pretty much the same way it always does...except my favorite little tweak.

This is my Christmas Countdown gingerbread house. It has doors on all four sides. It doesn't match our  other "sophisticated" decorations, but that's ok because it is going to be on our vanity. 


Yes, instead of candy, this year I get...a PRENATAL VITAMIN everyday. I'm so lucky. 
But seriously, I always get paranoid that I am going to forget my pill, I even bought one of those daily dispensers made for the elderly earlier in my pregnancy. It's like the garage door, you always remember to do it- but that doesn't stop your brain from going insane. So, at least this December, my pill dispenser is a whole lot more fun!

Speaking of the babe...we had our 20 week appointment. Quick and dirty update: 
I finally gained some weight...oh yeah, I gained some weight. 
The baby's heartbeat was  a bit faster...158 ish. Go baby go.
They told us that we might want to start thinking about signing up for our birthing classes- WHOA. Can I just tell you how exciting this is to me? I love to learn, and while I know a lot about birth- I only know the basic medical parts. These classes are specifically designed for teaching natural labor- and THAT is something I am pumped to learn more about. I know random tidbits, but I want to know MORE. 
They told us we could pick a preferred birthing suite! We went from room to room, and they all looked great. They all have big birthing tubs, beds big enough for both of us, and a little couch area for visitors. One reminded me of our home:















One reminded me of a fancy hotel room (and had a 4 post bed which I think could be VERY handy for laboring) and lots of deep brown tones:


and one had some K-State purple. 


Clearly I couldn't make a decision. 

And last, but NOT least- they referred us over for our 20 week ultrasound! That's right, Monday we get to see our little one again. We also, hopefully, get to see if Rufio is a girl or a boy! 

Don't worry, there's a plan for a reveal. We won't know until Wednesday- at the reveal, with everyone else. So, I need to get to prepping for this thing. 

Next up: gender AND name! 
Stay tuned.








No comments:

Post a Comment