Sunday, November 3, 2013

Finding SOMETHING to Like about KU


We went on a day-trip to meet up with our grandparents, Aunt Di, and 2 cousins at KU (where one of our cousins is a freshman.) Our baby has decided that it doesn't believe in letting me sleep in past 7am, so we had plenty of time to kill before meeting them all for dinner. 
First, we went out to breakfast at a place in our town's little "downtown" that feels VERY quaint. We dropped off his leftovers at work on our way to Lawrence and I got to see his office. I was super impressed. Sometimes I forget how much fancier his job is than mine. Also, after seeing where the secretary gets to sit - I've decided that maybe I need to be a secretary! 
We went shopping on Mass Street and bought some baby things. 
We saw a goat dressed up on the sidewalk outside of Freestate Brewery.
We stopped in a pizzeria (so I could use the bathroom...ah pregnancy) and Rico enjoyed an IPA.
We walked around campus. Rico refused to take a picture because "people would KNOW that we were at KU and they might think we liked it" Ok, ok. It IS a pretty campus though, especially in the fall. We thought back to our college years and realized that they were a little further back in our past than we may have realized. 
We saw a middle aged couple on a romantic scavenger hunt that ended at the little pond (Rico says "swamp") where he had balloons tied to a bottle of wine and a picnic set up. SO cute. In my mind it was re-tracing their love story.
We met up with our family and saw her dorm room. 
We ate at Merchants on Mass with the grandparents, Aunt Di, and our 2 cousins and talked about everything from the ark of the covenant to date parties while eating some of the best/ fanciest Mac-n-Cheese I've ever had.
We drove home and stopped at Cheesecake factory for a slice of cheesecake and a beer (the slice for me, the beer for him) on the way home.

You know what makes you feel old? Carrying a bag of diapers down Mass street. 
You know what makes you feel even older? Realizing that you could have been the teacher of even the college seniors. 
You know what really seals the "I'm basically geriatric" mentality? Going into a dorm room...of the child you both babysat when she was so young that she made you stop the Lizzie McGwire movie because she thought it was "too naughty." 
She loves KU- and I love that she loves her school. I hope she graduates feeling about KU how we feel about K-State.
College was a great time in life, and I would love to go back to that time for a few hours or so- but I really like this part of life too. 
You know, the part where I get a thrill from finding a deal on diapers. 
Where I am on the lookout for a coffee shop/ bar/ pizza place so I can pee and Erik can order something cheap so I don't have to feel guilty about it. 
Where I walk by (or even into) 4 candy/ cupcake/ ice cream / cookie shops and don't get anything
Where I walk around trying to show off a bump that in reality just looks like I gained the freshman 15 and decided not to buy new clothes that fit properly. 
THAT time in life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment