Friday, October 18, 2013

The Bump Goes Public

Parent teacher conferences...two 13 hour days in a row. Every year I dread it, and then every year I walk out the door physically tired- but with a very full "teacher heart" 

Parent teacher conferences win #1-
Some students are brave enough to tell you how much they like your class or how they've shared the information they learned from your class with other people, but most the time you just hope you're making an impact. 
Parent teacher night changes all of that. You hear things like, 
"I usually only go to meet with the core teachers- but I just HAD to meet you! I think my daughter wants to BE you."
 or, 
"I can't tell you how much he/she talks about your class. I've even learned a lot!" Then they tell you what thier child said and it could be a DIRECT quote from class and you think, "THEY WERE LISTENING!"
or 
"I think this class should be REQUIRED for all students to graduate."
or
"They are struggling in all these other classes, but I think you've helped them find their passion!" 

I mean, come on, that doesn't get old. 


Parent teacher conference win #2- 
We get an HOUR lunch AND dinner. This is unheard of. We usually get 20 minutes. I wasn't even sure what to do with myself! Our newest FACS teacher and I even went for a walk around the building- AND SAW THE SUN! You see, we have no windows and I'm often at school from before the sun comes up until after it has gone down. My friend even brought us Unforked one night! Don't worry: I tore up a fish taco, some SUPER tasty kale, and their new tabouli salad. I may have split a giant cookie too...don't judge me. 

Parent teacher conference win #3-
 Getting caught up on all the random other things that come along with my job. Training videos and quizes, lesson plans, blockouts, copies, enhancing lessons that need a little magic, running the Baby Think It Over Reports, testing the babies that failed to see if they were broken or just poorly parented, putting together work for homebound students, arranging places for my child development students to do preschool observations, grading their lesson plans for our preschool,  entering and printing grades for 6 hours worth of kids....you get it. I may complain that people don't value my classes like a core class, but on these nights- I zip it. 

Parent teacher conference win #4- Little Rufio made his presence known! No, I still don't feel him.
Sidenote:  I've taken to referring to Rufio as a him.
Little one, if you end up being a girl, I am sorry I did that. You will think everything I do is annoying at some point anyway, so you can just add this to the list
Back on track: My bump, according to me, is officially a bump. It has moments of less-bumpiness and moments of more-bumpiness, but I see a bump dang-it! 
Rico and I have been watching it grow over the past 2 weeks, but we see me a little more "raw" than the outside world does, so seeing the bump in normal clothes was pretty exciting. 
I'm ignoring the fact that only 1 person mentioned being able to see it, and that I had to tell everyone else that it was out.
(Clearly I HAD to. I couldn't just be a normal person and walk around not making people stare uncomfortably at my barely-pregnant belly. Nah.)

I know, I cropped my head out. You forget, it was a 13 hour day- nobody wants to see that. You came for the belly anyway!
I always imagined that my first bump picture would be well planned out, with a special background, fresh hair and make-up, and good lighting...you know, an event. I did NOT imagine that it would be me stopping before we were heading up to bed saying, "Hey, grab my phone and take a picture of this bump really quick." as Rico sat on our stairs and the dog did circles on the landing wanting us to "just come to bed already!" 
I still hope to avoid the pregnancy in the mirror with my cellphone selfie....but that's just me being bratty. I'm sure I'll get knocked off that high horse by reality sooner rather than later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment