Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Spring "break"

Let me put this in context first. Yes, I REALIZE that having all these things happen over break rather than on a normal work week is actually a good thing... But it's not feeling so great at the moment. Also, I tried to balance a happy spring break thing for every less-happy thing
1- (good news) We had our 35 week appointment. Eli is doing well, still head down. My bp is good too. I got to give myself the strep b swab- so that was substantially less awkward than predicted. I also overheard a lady making her next monthly appointment on Eli's due date. Less than a month now- whaaaaat?!
2- after the appointment I was still super sore (the hips/pelvis and now the back too), and I couldn't do much except lay. No buying groceries, no making dinner. Just laying. So much for productivity.
3-  I made a LOT of appointments. From fun ones (maternity photos on Thursday with Joyful Beginnings) to less fun ones (the dog needs his shots) to ones I didn't even plan on making.... That's right- I've gone full blown hippie. I have now seen a chiropractor.
AND I'm doing it again.
And again.
1 session and I felt much better (I still hurt, but there is hope- AND it is bearable) now to get back to almost normal and maybe even get my joints nice and stretchy for labor.
25% of what she did felt amazing. 25% was surprising- but didn't hurt. 25% hurt (but she warned me it would), 10% tickled, and 15% is just my lack of thinking through my addition- but I am writing on my phone and don't feel like going back to fix it.
I really walked in planning on making an appointment but they got me in right away and I walked out... Well, actually walking.
The downside: my insurance card didn't work AGAIN. It was supposed to be so easy!
4- my car window broke. Yes, again. I planned on procrastinating fixing it, but then I went to go to work today (with Max, because our real estate agent was hosting a luncheon at our house, so I was given the boot). As I went to shut the door behind the dog- it stopped short. Yep- the DOOR broke too. Now I HAD to get it fixed because it was keeping my interior lights on and would otherwise drain my battery.
So Max and I made the trip to the dealership. I should have had someone take a picture. A lady who looks like she has a beach ball stuffed under her shirt and can't walk/bend (this was before the chiro), with 3 bags of stuff for school, a dog doing anxiety circles in front of her. with dirty hair and a wrinkly shirt. In the service center. Standing. Homeless. Carless. Like a schmuck.
5- great news: they not only fixed it for free (because it had been less than a year since we had gotten the exact same thing fixed)- they ALSO fixed my front window that at one point they had told is was going to be $700. No more opening the door at toll booths for us- we're living the fancy life now! (Although I am pretty sure Rico will still do it because he is convinced it's just going to break if we use it- which all evidence points to)
6- high on this extra bonus window- we drove out of the lot.... When RICO's check engine light came on. Jeep- you're letting us down. (Which is ironic, because I am about to go buy a used jeep running stroller. Some people never learn... But for $20- I'll risk it.
7- I got a lot of work done at work, unfortunately, I also ended up adding so much to my to-do list that I actually feel just as behind as before I spent 8 hours at work on spring break. Huh.
at least I had Max to keep me entertained.
8- I took care of exchanges and returns for duplicate gift items at not 1- but 2 stores. Then I made the mistake of making a list of all the things Eli still needs before he gets here. You know, like more than just the 1 crib sheet he has now, or a boppy cover, or ANY bottles/nipples (I figure I've got some time before he needs those anyway), or disposable diapers for the first few weeks (I just can't bring myself to buy them- I spent so much time learning about cloth that disposables seem overwhelming. How can there be THAT many options? I need a cut out for his cord? Really? And what is this nonsense about sizes?! Come on.) Maybe I'll drop some hints with Rico's co-workers tonight and they will stock him up on what we need- because I'm clueless. I still need to: find a pediatrician, find a photo album for the quote card (side note- guess what is nearly extinct in this day of digital photos. Photo albums. Remember when there were aisles of them- cheap? Now when you DO find them- they are too expensive!), and buy some depends. Oh, that's right, I went there. I'm not at a hospital, so no mesh undies for me. Rather than ruining the perfectly cute new "mom" underwear my mom is bringing me instead of flowers at the delivery (isn't she awesome? Flowers die- cute underwear are a gift that keeps giving for years), I plan to just rock out some adult diapers for a day or two. Don't be jealous.
9- I went to pick up my breast pump- 

The one I tried to get taken care of in December (but they acted like I was crazy and told me no because it was too far ahead). 

The one that I wrote down the FIRST day she told me I could get it, and I called ON THAT DAY to make an appointment to get it (and they acted like I was crazy because "we aren't THAT formal!"). 

The one where I told her that I would be out of town that weekend (and since they close before any humans could possibly get to them after work, I wouldn't be able to pick it up until Monday of Spring break). 

The one where I drove out to the middle of nowhere just to pull up to see a sign on the ground inside that said they had moved down the strip mall (mind you, this was when I was still in a lot of pain, and I was just proud of myself for getting OUT of the car, now I had to get back in and do it all over). 

You know, the one where I walked in and there was no one there and even the person I heard in the back room didn't come out? 

Yes, the one where when the lady did arrive she disappeared for a few minutes only to re-appear and inform me that THEY WERE OUT OF BREAST PUMPS. 

You know, the MEDICAL SUPPLY company that was out of medical supplies. 

She asked how far I'd driven. When I told her (and I presume when she saw that I was about to cry), she said they'd ship it to me. I should have asked a lot more questions, but I didn't. I just made sure she had my address, gave her my only copy of my Rx (in retrospect- not my best plan), and left. 

10- I still GET to have lunch with some friends on Friday. Outside of school! In the real world. That will be sooo good. Like, so, so good.


So, basically my spring break is filled with checking things off my to-do list- and adding on things I never planned for. It's spending money where I didn't plan. It's stressing to make appointments and get things done. It's a microcosm of life. So much for an ocean side babymoon with my toes in the sand. Hello reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment