Monday, March 10, 2014

The Crazy Spiral

Something you should NOT do when your hips hurt: go on a long walk around the lake.
But, our house was being shown to 2 different groups and we promised Maximus the dog park- until we got there and saw the mayhem. 
No way dude, you'll have to settle for a boring walk by the lake because SOMEONE is getting eaten at that dog park with the massive over crowding and we are NOT letting that dog be you.


Here's the thing. Getting STARTED doing anything hurts like mother…(have I mentioned that little Eli has turned his mom into a potty mouthed sailor- pretty fitting with the shirt and all) BUT once I am going it feels great. 

Well, it was very clear that night WHY we should have stopped. 
Ah hem, "Why RICO WAS RIGHT and we should have stopped"

We went to a movie for the first time in months. (Rico really wanted to see the new 300 movie for his birthday- and we had free passes at our favorite movie theatre- where all the seats are recliners so I can go comfortably). You should have seen me trying to get in and out of those chairs. 
I mean it HURT.
I made some really bad faces- like faces that people could have thought, "This girl is in labor"
I also made some noises. Mostly grunting. My doula and birthing instructors would be proud- no high pitched noises- nice low growling grunts! 
but I can imagine it was pretty entertaining to watch if you weren't me (or Rico, who had progressed from shaking his head at my soreness to being genuinely concerned that something might be seriously wrong)

Sidenote: For all mothers (both birth and in-law varieties) reading this: I have an appointment with the midwives in a few hours and Rico has already assured me that we WILL be asking them about this, so you can exhale now and continue reading without worry for my health.

The bad news- we accidentally showed up for the 3-d movie. We're kind of over the 3d thing- especially with the price, so we decided to kill time until the non-3d showing. 

I had a gift card for TjMaxx, so I thought we might go see if we could find things we need for the baby. 

Things this baby will never be short on
cute blankets
clothing
love (had to do it, sorry)

We DID find some sun shades for Rico's car, but then Rico found a book he wanted (for Eli). He LOVES Eric Carl- he met him when he was little and is obsessed, so anytime he sees something by Eric Carl he has to pick it up. It was a cool book about opposites (not really developmentally appropriate for a while- but it had flaps Rico was really enjoying).  We looked at the price and that's when I started spiraling down.

The thought spiral:
I like this book.
Awww, Rico likes this book!
He should have this book because Rico will be excited to read it to him and Rico hates to read.
We need to read to him a lot.
Should I already be reading to him?
Oh no, is he already behind?
He is going to need a LOT of books.
Oh no, we don't have enough books (this is not ACTUAL reality, as he does have about 15 books already in his nursery- but it felt real at the time)
Me: "How much is the book?"
Rico: "Too much"
What does that mean, like $8? $8 a book times 25 books, but then he'll destroy some, so….
Oh no, we aren't going to be able to afford to give him all the books he needs. 
He's going to be lacking books!
He's going to be behind in cognitive and language development!
No, I can't let that happen- we'll just have to be poor because we'll spend all our money on books. 

Then I felt the crazy bubbling up out of just my mind and starting to spew out into the real world. 
"Oh no!" (*note- things NOT to say out loud to your husband without context, when you're only about a month from your dues date, on a day that you've been walking around like a 90 year old person and he is already super worried about you) 
"He's not going to have enough books!"

and then my husband had one of those moments where I just have to stop and kiss him and I think, "THIS is why I married you." 

He didn't miss a beat from my crazy, and you could tell he knew I had already had the mental spiral. He just looked me straight in the eye and said "Alli, he will have books"
Me: "HOW DO YOU KNOW?!"
Rico: " Because you are his mom"
Me: "BUT WE CAN'T AFFORD ALL THE BOOKS I WANT TO BUY HIM!" 

and then he SEALED the deal. I said it on his birthday, but I really mean it. I think Rico is all of my favorite things in all my favorite amounts. One of the things he is in JUST the right amount is logical when I am crazy. In 7 words he took me from crazy downward spiral to SUPER excited.
"Winter is almost over: garage sales, baby!"

GARAGE SALES! 
yes.
Crazy downward mental spiral ended.  

We then started a 10 minute discussion about how we had finally reached the time in life that we idealized EVERY time we went garage saling, "Dang, once we have kids we are going to TEAR SOME GARAGE SALES UP!" 

Our time has come. Watch out people with used stuff…we're coming for you.


And, because I love my dog, I had to share this little gem. In order to actually see his face, I had to take this picture from almost completely on top of me. If you were to look at my profile, you would have only been able to see the tip of little Max's nose. (apparently I can now hide more than a bowling ball behind my belly- I can hide our dog!) 
The poor guy's chin had to be almost completely vertical to lay there….but apparently it was still worth it for him- even with all the kicks and jabs going on under him.

Maybe that's why God surrounded me with so many boys. Between Rico, Max, and Eli I am bound to have a nice balance to my super-hormones that send me on irrational downward spirals in the middle of stores. Thanks boys.

Now, off to our 35 week appointment. Group B strep test (the LAST test standing between me and a needle free labor), checking to make sure Eli is still head down, getting my maternity leave paperwork filled out by the midwives, picking up my breast pump (after they write me a Rx), and picking up almond butter at Trader Joes. One of these things is not like the other…but oddly feels almost as important. 






No comments:

Post a Comment